Earn and redeem miles with American
Enjoy worldwide travel with an extensive network of domestic and international destinations when you travel with American. From our major hubs across the U.S., we serve more than 365 destinations in 61 countries. American is a founding member of the oneworld® alliance.
You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on American and codeshare flights operated by partner airlines.
- Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
- Fly an eligible route
When you earn eligible AAdvantage® miles for travel on American, you’ll also earn Loyalty Points that count toward qualifying for AAdvantage® status.
Calculating base miles
For travel on American-marketed flights, miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees). The more you spend, and the higher your AAdvantage® status, the more you'll earn.
- AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
- AAdvantage Gold® member – 7 miles / U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum® member – 8 miles / U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro® member – 9 miles / U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum® member – 11 miles / U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
You can earn a maximum of 75,000 AAdvantage® miles per ticket.
AAdvantage® member flying round-trip on an American-marketed flight from Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) to London-Heathrow (LHR):
|AAdvantage® status||Base fare (USD)||Carrier-imposed fees (USD)||Base miles / USD||Base miles earned||Loyalty Points earned|
|AAdvantage Platinum Pro®||$1,436||$458||9||17,046||17,046|
|AAdvantage Executive Platinum®||$1,436||$458||11||20,834||20,834|
Details for earning miles
|Cabin||Purchased fares booked in*||Loyalty Points|
|Full Fare First / Business||F, J||available|
|Discount First / Business||A, C, D, I, R||available|
|Premium Economy||W, P||available|
|Economy||Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O||available|
Earning EQMs, EQDs and EQSs
|Cabin||Purchased fares booked in*||EQMs per mile flown**||EQDs***||EQSs|
|Full Fare First / Business||F, J||3.00||available||1.00|
|Discount First / Business||A, C, D, I, R||2.00||available||1.00|
|Premium Economy||W, P||1.50||available||1.00|
|Economy||Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O||1.00||available||1.00|
|Basic Economy^^||B||– Not available||– Not available||– Not available|
**EQMs are calculated based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code. Status mileage bonuses do not apply to EQMs but do count toward Loyalty Points.
***EQDs and AAdvantage® miles are calculated based on what you pay for your ticket (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees). Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs.
*Some exception fares and cases where the ticket / fare details aren't available at the time your flight is posted will earn AAdvantage® miles and Loyalty Points based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.
^^ Basic Economy fares will be booked in 'B' (marketed and operated by American). For American codeshare flights (marketed by American and operated by British Airways or Iberia or Finnair), Basic Economy fares could be booked in any eligible OA economy fare.
- If you buy your ticket in a different currency, your AAdvantage® miles are calculated using a conversion to USD (based on the 5-day IATA rate on the date the ticket was issued).
- Tickets paid in full or partially with American-issued vouchers receive full credit for the base fare and carrier-imposed fees associated with the ticket price.
- AAdvantage® miles for tickets bought using a promo code or corporate discount will be calculated based on the actual base fare of the ticket, including any carrier-imposed surcharges, less the discount associated with the promo code or corporate discount.
- For tickets including both American-marketed and partner-marketed flights, AAdvantage® miles are calculated based on the policy for each flight. Flights that are marketed by American earn based on your prorated ticket price (base fare plus any carrier-imposed surcharges); flights marketed by partner airlines earn based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased.
- Non-Lifetime AirPass℠ members earn AAdvantage® miles in the same way as they are calculated for all other AAdvantage® members.
- Lifetime AirPass℠ members (Limited and Unlimited) earn AAdvantage® miles based on the distance of the flight.
Certain airline ticket types aren't eligible for earning miles regardless of the booking code. These include, without limitation:
- All tickets issued as AAdvantage® awards
- Charter flight tickets
- Companion tickets
- Infant tickets
- Items occupying a purchased seat
- Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets
- Tickets bought through a travel agency where the airline is not disclosed before purchase, such as Priceline or Hotwire
- Tickets issued subject to special provisions
- Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets
Use AAdvantage® miles to book award travel or upgrade to a higher cabin on American and American Eagle. Awards are valid for one-way travel, unless otherwise specified, and may be combined to create round-trip or multi-city trips.
AAdvantage® status benefits
When you fly on American and American Eagle, your trip counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage® status and receiving additional benefits when traveling.